Flag: James R. Cumming's Flag
This banner was the property of James R. Cumming of Ketchum's/Garrity's Battery (Alabama State Artillery). It was presented to him by the ladies of Mobile early in 1861. The banner which is inscribed with an emblem and the word "four" was used to decorate Cumming's gun during dress parades. A note dated September 1895 and written upon Woodlawn Cemetery Company stationery notes that Cumming was living in Texas at that time and wished for the "flag to be exhibited at the Cotton State International Exposition, Atlanta, Ga., as a memento of a glorious though lost cause."
The banner was presented to the Alabama Department of Archives and History on June 28, 1909 by the estate of Ms. Kate Cumming.
|Previous Flag||Next Flag|
Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage
Updated: October 25, 2006