Flag of Lumsden's Battery before conservation treatment (left) and after treatment (right).

Flag: Lumsden's Battery
Catalogue No. 86.1871.1

Order a copy print

Provenance Reconstruction:

According to the available documentation, this flag was presented to the battery by the ladies of Tuscaloosa. During a skirmish in Mobile, Lt. James McLauren Shivers took the flag from a Federal soldier who had captured it. In August 1905 Thomas Owen, Director, Alabama Department of Archives and History, learned that the flag had survived the war and was still in Shivers' possession. On August 15, 1905 Owen wrote Shivers requesting the return of the flag. Receiving no response, Owen wrote again on September 2, 1905. On September 13, 1905 Shivers replied that he did indeed have the flag and intended to donate it. He also noted that Lumsden's Battery had carried a "blue guidon with a full moon in the center" when they were in Hardee's Corps. For some unexplained reason Shivers failed to forward the flag to Owen, who continued to press the matter through correspondence until February 1910. No correspondence after this date has been located. The flag was finally donated to the Alabama Department of Archives and History by Mrs. Allyne (Shivers) Norton, the daughter of James M. Shivers. At the time the donantion was made, no date was entered into the accession log, however, the previous entry was for October, 1928, while the next was for March, 1929.

This flag received conservation treatment and was prepared for display by Textile Preservation Associates, Inc. of Sharpsburg, Maryland in November 2004.

       Curator's Object Files, Civil War Flags, Alabama Department of Archives and History.

Previous FlagNext Flag

Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage

Updated: October 25, 2006