Flag: 24th Alabama Infantry (Co. E. Dickinson Guards)
Catalogue No. 86.1890.1

Order a copy print

Provenance Reconstruction:

According to the available documentation, the flag of the Dickinson Guards was presented to the company on Monday, October 14, 1861 at the Baptist Church in Grove Hill, Alabama. The presentation speech was given by Miss Alice Savage. The reception speech was given by Mr. T. A. Wimbish of the Guards. No subsequent history of the flag has been located. Marie Bankhead Owen, Director, Alabama Department of Archives and History wrote a Mrs. Faile of Grove Hill on March 22, 1935 concerning a flag of the Dickinson Guards. Mrs. Faile was the niece of Robert Chapman who had served with the Guards and possessed the flag at the time of his death. There is no other correspondence until June 20, 1963 when Director Peter Brannon acknowledges the receipt of the flag on the previous day from Miss Lyda Wilson, the great-great granddaughter of Chapman.

The flag was examined by textile conservator Fonda Thomsen in August, 1990. She verified that all thread, material and construction techniques were consistent with materials and practices common at the time and that there was no reason to doubt the authenticity of the flag.

      Curator's Object Files, Civil War Flags, Alabama Department of Archives and History.
       Tancig, W. J. Confederate Military Land Units, 1861-1865. New York, Thomas Yoseloff, 1967.

Previous FlagNext Flag

Return to Flag index
To Civil War Military records
To Willis Brewer's Brief Historical Sketches of Alabama Units
To Civil War Unit History files
Return to ADAH homepage

Updated: October 25, 2006