Twenty-First Alabama
Infantry Regiment

The Twenty-first was mustered into service Oct. 13, 1861, at Mobile, and remained at Hall's Mill and Fort Gaines till ordered to Fort Pillow in March 1862. It remained there a few days, then moved to Corinth, where it was brigaded under Gen. Gladden. The regiment took part in the battle of Shiloh, where it lost six color-bearers in succession, and 200 killed and wounded out of about 650 engaged and was complimented in general orders. On the return to Corinth, the regiment was reorganized, and extended their enlistment from one year to "for the war." The Twenty-first was at Farmington, but its casualties were few. In the summer the regiment was ordered to Mobile, and was on garrison duty at Fort Morgan, and at Oven and Chocta Bluffs.* It was at Pollard a short time under Gen. Cantey, but was then ordered to the defenses of Mobile. Two companies were stationed at Fort Powell, where, with a loss of one killed, they withstood a bombardment of a fortnight from five gun-boats and six mortar-boats which attempted to force an entrance through Grant's Pass. Six companies of the regiment were captured at Fort Gaines, and two at Fort Morgan; but the two at Fort Powell blew up and evacuated the post. The men captured at Fort Gaines were exchanged, the others were not. The remainder of the regiment were part of the garrison of Spanish Fort, where it lost about 10 killed and 25 wounded. The Twenty-first was surrendered at Cuba, in Sumter, May 6, 1865, about 250 strong. It is but just to say that the Twenty-first was composed largely of artisans from Mobile, many of whom were detached to assist in the various government works.

Field and Staff

Colonels - James Crawford of Mobile; resigned. Charles D. Anderson of Mobile; captured at Fort Gaines.

Lieutenant Colonels - A.J. Ingersoll of Mobile; resigned. Stewart W. Cayce of Mobile; resigned. Charles S. Stewart of Mobile; killed at Fort Morgan. J.M. Williams of Mobile.

Majors - Frederick Stewart of Mobile; till re-organized. Jas. M. Williams; promoted. Chas. B. Johnson of Mobile.

Adjutants - S.W. Cayce; promoted. James M. Williams; transferred to line. George Vidmer of Mobile; wounded at Spanish Fort.

Captains, and Counties from Which the Companies Came.

Mobile - John F. Jewett; till re-organization. James M. Williams; promoted. Jno. F. Cothran; captured at Ft. Morgan.

Mobile - Charles B. Johnson; promoted. John O'Connor; captured at Fort Gaines.

Marengo - J.M. Rembert; wounded at Shiloh; died in the service. F. Smith; captured at Fort Gaines.

Mobile - Cary W. Butt; wounded at Shiloh; resigned. Melville C. Butt.

Marengo - John C. Chamberlain; resigned. Henry Sosaman; captured at Fort Gaines.

Mobile and Baldwin - F.J. McCoy; till re-organized. B. F. Dade; captured at Fort Gaines.

Mobile - S.S. Taylor; died in the service. Murdock McInnis; captured at Fort Gaines.

Mobile - Charles Devaux. Angelo Festorazzi. (Companies transferred to the First Louisiana.)

Mobile - Charles S. Stewart; promoted. A.P. Doran; captured at Fort Morgan; resigned. C. LeBaron Collins; captured at Fort Morgan.

(Conscripts) 1862 - A.S. Carrington; captured at Ft. Gaines.

(Conscripts) 1862 - Edw. Spalding; captured at Ft. Gaines.

*It was while the regiment lay at Mobile that a sub-marine boat was constructed to operate against the blockading squadron. After ten or fifteen men had been lost by the sudden sinking of the vessel, Lieut. George E. Dixon, of Capt. Cothran's company, with several of his men, volunteered to man it. But the current at the entrance of the bay was too strong, and Dixon and his men accompanied it to Charleston. There it went to sea one night, and blew up the Housatonic, of the federal blockading squadron, causing her to sink, with all her crew. The fate of Dixon and his men was not known till after the peace, when his boat was found by the side of the Housatonic, and in its air-tight walls were encoffined the skeletons of the brave crew. Dixon was a Kentuckian by birth and an engineer by profession.
Created: 11/26/96