Alabama Counties: St. Clair County


Click on the map to get a detailed image of the county
Provided by Alabama Maps


map of Alabama counties with St. Clair County highlighted

St. Clair County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 1818 Nov. 20. It was named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair (Pennsylvania), a hero of the American Revolution. It is located in the north-central part of the state, and is bordered by Blount, Calhoun, Talladega, Shelby, and Jefferson counties. It encompasses 646 square miles. St. Clair is the only county in Alabama to have two county seats. Ashville, originally called St. Clairsville, was named for John Ash, a senator in the state's first General Assembly. Located in the northern part of the county, Ashville served as the county seat from 1821-1907. The Alabama Constitution of 1901 provided for Pell City in the southern part of the county to serve as the county seat for the Southern Judicial District of the county. A constitutional amendment in 1907 established Pell City, named for George H. Pell, an early settler, as the second county seat. Other towns and communities include Ragland and Springville.






  Owen, Thomas McAdory. History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography. Chicago: S. J. Clarke   Publishing Co., 1921.



Return to Alabama Counties
Return to Alabama History On-Line




Updated: February 6, 2014